Tired of cheesy 4th of July décor? Us too. We came up with a fun littles activity that is design-forward and captures the essence of summer: watercolor pillows. Get out the paint and grab your littles, it’s time to get painting! Disclaimer: Fluffy kitten not included in this easy DIY!
1. Begin by laying your pillow cover flat. If there are still creases in the fabric, be sure to iron before painting! Next, insert a piece of cardboard into the case if you only want one side painted.
2. Place a dime-sized amount of red paint into a bowl and then repeat with the blue in a separate bowl. Fill each bowl with around half a cup of water and mix! This will create an instant “watercolor“ that will translate really well onto the canvas cover. We began with a more saturated color and then added more water when we wanted to change the tone.
3. Next, take your paintbrush and start with the color of your choice. Dip the brush into the color and dab onto the pillowcase. Dip your paintbrush in clean water and make continuous dabbing and circling motions around the initial color dab. This will allow the color to bleed into the water you just added, creating a watercolor effect.
4. Once you are happy with that color, switch shades! Begin in a different area on the pillow and repeat the same process. This part is completely up to you! Decide if you want an organic shape, stripes, or even watercolor stars! Don’t be afraid if the colors bleed together, it makes such a beautiful color.
5. After you are happy with your watercolor masterpiece, hang it up to dry using a pants hanger and allow to dry overnight. In the morning, slip it on your pillow!