If you’re a mom I don’t have to tell you that things don’t always go to plan. Zelda and I were browsing Pinterest one day and came across these super cool Galaxy Ice Cream Sandwiches. I decided to put our own unique spin on them to create Unicorn Ice Cream Sandwiches. I bought all the supplies and set everything up in the kitchen. Things were going well until it came time to place the ice cream between the graham crackers. It has been super hot in Chicago over the last few days (I’m not complaining) and the ice cream began to melt quickly. We got them back in the freezer as fast as we could but I knew these ice cream sandwiches weren’t going to be the Pinterest-worthy dream I envisioned.
We left them in the freezer and made cute little ice cream shakes with the leftover ice cream. Side note: Making homemade ice cream is way easier than I imagined. After about 2-3 hours we pulled the Unicorn Ice Cream Sandwiches out of the freezer and as expected, they weren’t as pretty as we hoped, but they still tasted delicious! (The Unicorn Ice Cream Sandwiches actually looked prettier once they began melting.) At the end of the day Zelda and I had fun together in the kitchen (her favorite bunny even got in on the action) and that is all that matters, right?
Photo Credit & Food Styling: Leah Nolan
- Yields 6
Unicorn ice cream shakes and ice cream sandwiches are the perfect summer treat!
- Place a mixing bowl in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove the bowl from the freezer and add the condensed milk, cream cheese and vanilla. Use an electric mixer to combine. Slowly add in the heavy cream and continue to mix until you have ice cream.
- Divide the ice cream into three bowls and add one color of food coloring to each.
- Place six graham cracker halves on six separate pieces of plastic wrap. Add small dollops of each color ice cream on top of the graham crackers and sandwich with the remaining graham crackers. Tightly wrap the sandwiches with the plastic wrap and secure so the ice cream sandwiches keep their shape. Place in a glass pan and freeze for 4-8 hours.
- Pour the remaining ice cream in glass cups, alternating layers for each color. Drink immediately or place in the freezer.
- Once the ice cream sandwiches are frozen, remove from the plastic wrap and serve!
Author: Glitter and Bubbles
Adapted: A Bajillion Recipes
Adapt Link: http://www.abajillianrecipes.com/2017/06/05/galaxy-ice-cream-sandwiches/