Looking at most of these photos you would never know I experienced a major baking fail when making Rad Mom, Kelly Nelson’s Texas Sheet Cake. Sh*t happens when you bake and sometimes it is not always pretty. I was just reading an article about a mom who dropped her daughter’s perfect birthday cake right before the big reveal and had a total meltdown. When moments like this happen you just have to go with it and make it work. When the time came to remove the cake from the pan, I tried to put it on the wire rack and only part of it came out — leaving half the cake crumbled on the table and the rest stuck to pan.
I honestly still don’t know what happened – this thing was greased to the max and baked to perfection! Instead of freaking out or starting over, I salvaged what I could, spooned on the frosting and served it. After all, it still tastes the same! What baking fails have you experienced? Let me know I’m not alone by commenting below!
P.S. We made our first recipe video…and learned A LOT. Stay tuned for more coming soon!
- Prep time:30min
- Cook time:30min
- Total time:1h
Extra chocolate is always a good idea.
For the Cake:
- 2 Cups & 2 Teaspoons Flour
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup Water
- ½ Cup Butter
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- ½ Cup Buttermilk
- 2 Eggs
- ¼ Cup Crushed Pecans
- Cooking Spray
For the Frosting:
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 1/3 Cup Fat Free Buttermilk
- ¼ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Using a whisk, mix 2 cups of flour with granulated sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a saucepan, combine water, ½ cup butter and ¼ cup cocoa powder. Bring to a boil and stir frequently.
- Use an electric mixer to combine the flour mixture with the cocoa powder mixture.
- Add buttermilk, 1 teaspoon vanilla and eggs. Mix to combine.
- Spray a 13x9 inch with cooking spray and sprinkle with 2 teaspoons of flour. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick into the center and pull it out cleanly.
- While the cake is baking, combine 6 tablespoons of butter, fat-free milk and ¼ cup cocoa powder in a saucepan and bring it to a boil. Stir frequently until combined.
- Remove from the heat and slowly add in the powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla.
- Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place on a wire rack.
- Pour the hot chocolate mixture over the hot cake. Sprinkle with crushed pecans and allow to cool.
- Eat cake!
Author: Glitter and Bubbles
Adapted: All Recipes
Adapt Link: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/texas-sheet-cake