Having a date night in with your significant other this Valentine’s Day? Us too! And we’re tickled pink to have Emily Charron’s favorite Strawberry Shortcake recipe from Lovely Little Kitchen to make for dessert. Nothing says, “I love you” like a deliciously sweet treat.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- To make the biscuits, whisk together 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour, ¼ cup sugar, 1 tablespoon baking powder and ½ teaspoon salt.
- Grate ½ cup of butter into a bowl and freeze for 5 minutes. While the butter is freezing, mix together the buttermilk and 1 egg together in a separate bowl.
- Remove the butter from the freezer and pour it into the flour mixture. Add the buttermilk and egg mix and mix with your hands until combined. Don’t overmix!
- Pour the dough onto a floured surface and pat it out to 1-inch thick. Fold it into thirds and pat it to 1-inch thick again.
- Next, cut out the biscuits with a round cookie cutter and place on a greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar and bake for 13 minutes or until golden brown.
- While the biscuits are baking, mix 2 cups sliced strawberries and 2 tablespoons sugar and allow them to sit until they become slightly soft.
- For the cream, mix together heavy cream, ¼ cup sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in an electric mixer on low speed for 2 minutes and increase the speed until peaks form (or you can cheat and buy Cool-Whip!).
- Sandwich the strawberries and cream between two biscuits and top with another dollop of cream and more strawberries.