Inspired by the Cooking Channel’s Junk Food Flip, I’ve been experimenting in the kitchen to try and put a healthier spin on some of my favorite junk food (sadly, I haven’t found a substitute for Oreos). As a mom, I really strive to make sure Zelda eats as healthy as possible, and lucky for me, she isn’t at an age where she’s rejecting vegetables yet. It’s hard to sell her on food she isn’t familiar with, but most of the time once she sees me eating it she immediately wants a bite.
I came across IPS Chips a few months ago at the Vitamin Shoppe, and was immediately intrigued when I read that one ounce of these whey protein based chips contain as much protein as one egg. The first thing that flashed in my mind was walking tacos. I opted for IPS’s white cheddar chips and hit the kitchen. I selected ground turkey instead of ground beef, it’s leaner and a little easier on Z’s stomach. We also skipped sour cream and used cottage cheese. It still tastes yummy and has significantly less fat.
After that we selected our favorite veggies, poured everything in the bag, secured it with a cute little clothespin and shook it up! To make consumption a little easier, I cut a hole in the center for Zelda and gave her a fork. For all the mamas who aren’t into eating out of the bag, pouring it in a bowl makes for a super satisfying lunch. Will you try this at home? Tell me in the comments below!
MAKE IT LOOK LIKE OURS
- Prep time: 20min
- Cook time: 10min
- Total time: 30min
- Yield: 4
- Serves: 4
I selected ground turkey instead of ground beef, it’s leaner and a little easier on the stomach. We also skipped sour cream and used cottage cheese. It still tastes yummy and has significantly less fat.
- Place the ground turkey in a bowl and use your hands to combine with the garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Brush a skillet with olive oil and cook the ground turkey over medium heat, approximately 7-10 minutes or until cooked through. Flip with the spatula every so often.
- Cut open the IPS chips and evenly distribute the ground turkey, cherry tomatoes, green onion, avocado, feta, cottage cheese and cilantro.
- Secure with a clothespin and gently shake the bag to combine.
- Cut a hole in the center and serve to littles with a fork!
Author: Glitter and Bubbles