Zelda has an unusual habit of eating raw spinach, kale and cilantro. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining, but I have never seen a child take to greens this way. Lucky for us, getting her to eat healthy foods has never been a problem. However, I realize it might not be the same for other parents and I’m always game for finding creative ways to eat my vegetables. I’m convinced this recipe for green rice is the ultimate parenting hack. You simply put spinach, cilantro, garlic, vegetable broth and salt and pepper in a blender to combine, and then mix the puree with cooked brown rice. It’s SO sneaky!
To add flavor and texture, we roasted sweet potato cubes with a little olive oil and paprika, and quickly cooked black beans seasoned with salt. We then garnished the green rice bowl with avocado, radishes, feta and a few slices of jalapeno for me. It’s super easy to reheat this dish in the oven, so you can enjoy it over the course of the week as your main meal or as a yummy side dish. What’s your favorite “eat your veggies” hack? Tell me in the comments below.
Photo Credit & Food Styling: Leah Nolan
- Prep Time 20m
- Cook Time 40m
- Total Time 1h
- For the Rice
- 2 Cups Whole Grain Brown Rice
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 1 Cup Baby Spinach
- ½ Cup Cilantro
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- For the Sweet Potatoes
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, Peeled & Roughly Cubed
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼ Teaspoon Salt
- For the Garnish
- 2 Radishes, Thinly Sliced with a Mandoline
- 2 Avocados, Roughly Cubed
- ¼ Cup Feta
- 1 Small Jalapeno, Sliced with a Mandoline
- 1 Can Black Beans
- Place the rice in a saucepan with 1 ½ cups water and 1 ½ cups vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover and turn the heat down to low and allow the rice to simmer. Allow to cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the liquid has completely disappeared.
- While the rice is cooking, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Toss the cubed sweet potatoes in olive oil, paprika and salt.
- Spread the sweet potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Place 2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ cup vegetable broth, baby spinach, cilantro and minced garlic in a blender with salt and pepper to taste. Pulse until combined.
- Place a splash of olive oil in a sauté pan and add the black beans. Cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooked, place it in a bowl and toss with the spinach puree. Add the cooked black beans and toss again.
- Place the rice in 2-4 bowls and top with sweet potatoes, avocado chunks, radishes, feta and jalapenos (optional).
- Serve to your family for lunch or dinner!
Author: Glitter and Bubbles
Adapted: Cookie & Kate
Adapt Link: https://cookieandkate.com/2015/vegan-sweet-potato-green-rice-burrito-bowls/