This Goat Cheese & Pomegranate Kale Salad meets somewhere in the middle of summer and fall, which is exactly where I feel like my brain is located. With the warm weather, it feels like the height of summer but with back to school, Halloween decorations popping up everywhere and the close of fashion week, things are feeling more autumnal every day. My cooking time is very limited but when I can squeeze in making something healthy this is my go-to. As soon as Z shuts her eyes for the night I dash into the kitchen to prep this for the next day.
I love apples in my salads (especially with goat cheese!) but there’s nothing more off putting than a stack of brown fruit embedded in kale. That’s why I recently made it my mission to find out how to keep them from browning. Just mix 1 cup of water with ¼ teaspoon of salt, until the salt dissolves, and then toss in the apples for 3-4 minutes. After they’ve had a thorough soak, place them in a strainer and rinse! Pretty easy, right? As a frequent sliced apple consumer this tip was life changing. Bye, bye yucky brown apples! Do you have a kitchen trick I should know about? Tell me in the comments below.
WHAT WE USED
- Prep time:20min
- Yield: 2 servings
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the diced prosciutto on the baking sheet and bake for 5-7 minutes, or until crispy. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Use a mandoline slicer to thinly cut the apple and then use a knife to slice into straws. In a small bowl, mix together the water and salt and soak the apples for 3-4 minutes. Strain and rinse. This will keep the apples from browning.
- Slice the grapes into coins and toss with the kale and apples.
- Crumble goat cheese over the salad and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and prosciutto.
- Whisk together the honey, Dijon mustard, olive oil and champagne vinegar and serve on the side.
RECIPE BROUGHT TO YOU BY GLITTER AND BUBBLES