powered by chloédigital
- Six 9-inch Cake Pans
- Vegetable Shortening
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter
- 2 1/3 Cups Sugar
- 5 Large Egg Whites (No Yolks)
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Milk
- Rainbow Colored Gel Food Coloring Set
- For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 Cup Vegetable Shortening
- 1 Cup Butter
- 1 Bag (2lb) Powdered Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- 4 Tablespoons Milk
1. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Brush the cake pans with shortening. Next, line the bottom of each pan with parchment paper and brush again with shortening; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a separate large bowl, slowly mix together the butter and the sugar, using a handheld electric mixer. To do this I put in a small amount of butter and then a small amount of sugar, alternating until each ingredient was gone.
3. Slowly add the egg whites and mix until well combined. Mix in the vanilla. Alternate adding the flour mixture and the milk, begin with the flour and end with the milk, mix until well combined.
4. Divide the batter evenly into six bowls. Add the food coloring (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and violet) to each bowl and whisk until combined. Pour each mix into a separate cake pan and bake for 15-16 minutes.
5. To create the buttercream frosting, combine the shortening and butter in a bowl with an electric mixer. Next, gradually beat in the powdered sugar and the vanilla. Add in the milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, and beat until the frosting is light and fluffy.
6. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow them to cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, remove the cakes from the pans. Place the first layer (violet) on a cake pan and frost the top and sides with a spatula. Repeat this process, stacking and frosting each layer. Smooth the outer layer of the frosting with the spatula. Cut a piece of cake and serve to guests!
Recipe Brought to You By Betty Crocker x Glitter and Bubbles