Is there anything more autumnal than Apple Cider & Cinnamon Sugar Donuts? We think not.
Donuts & Apple Cider
- Prep time:3h
- Begin by cutting the apples into slices and adding them into a large pot with 6 cups of water over medium-high heat.
- Add in the cinnamon sticks and bring to a boil. Allow the mixture to boil for approximately 30 minutes and then turn to low heat; cover and allow it to simmer for 2 hours.
- While the cider is simmering prepare the donuts. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a mini donut pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, ½ teaspoon cinnamon and salt. Next, whisk together the egg, vanilla, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and buttermilk until combined. Spoon this mixture into the pan, filling each hole ¾ of the way, you don’t want to overfill!
- Place the pan in the oven and allow the donuts to bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Mix together the remaining sugar and cinnamon and brush each donut with the remaining melted butter. Dip the donuts into the sugar mixture to coat and set aside.
- Once the apple mixture is ready, remove it from the heat and allow the mixture to cool.
- Next, using a masher, turn the mixture into apple sauce. Pour the apple sauce through a strainer to remove the apple pulp, catching the juice underneath in a bowl.
- Pour the apple cider and serve with warm donuts!
Recipe adapted from Deliciously Yum & One Ingredient Chef by Glitter and Bubbles.