Butternut Squash Soup and Chocolate Pomegranate Bacon Sandwiches are truly decadent together. This rich duo is where savory comfort food meets dessert. I’ve never made butternut squash soup and I thought it was going to be really complicated. As it turns out, Zelda could probably make this with very little help. I cut the butternut squash in half and she brushed it with olive oil and sprinkled on the salt and pepper.
We popped the squash in the oven and once it was cooled, we scooped it out and tossed it in the blender with all the other ingredients. Zelda is very sensitive to loud noises and the blender scares her, so I oversaw pushing the button while she held her hands over her ears. The soup was extra creamy and warm, and I can see this being our winter jam.
If you’ve never taken a stab at deseeding a pomegranate before, it’s much cheaper to buy a whole pomegranate rather than just the seeds. Deseeding is simple — cut it in half, soak it in water and break the seeds out while submerged. Once the seeds are out, scoop up the white membrane and pour the bowl’s contents into a strainer. Once we assembled the sandwiches, we added a little coconut oil to a skillet and grilled them. Of the two of us, I don’t know who enjoyed this recipe more!
- Prep time:30min
- Cook time:1h
- Total time:1h 30min
- Serves: 2
Get the recipe for Butternut Squash Soup and Chocolate Pomegranate Bacon Sandwiches! This decadent duo will be your new winter jam.
- 2 Chocolate Bars
- 2 Tablespoons Peanut Butter
- 4 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
- ½ Cup Pomegranate Seeds
- 4 Slices Bacon
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 2 Large Butternut Squash
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 Shallot
- 3 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and cut the butternut squash in half.
- Brush the squash with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and paper. Place the butternut squash face down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast the squash for 45 minutes.
- Once it's done roasting, set the squash aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the chopped shallot, minced garlic and a sprinkle of salt. Cook until golden brown.
- Scoop the butternut squash from the skin and place the squash in the blender. Add the shallot/garlic mixture, vegetable broth, butter, heavy cream and ground nutmeg. Turn your blender to the soup setting and push the button. Once done, pour the soup into a bowl and top with a few drops of heavy cream and salt and pepper.
- To make the sandwiches, spread peanut butter on one piece of wheat bread and top with two chocolate squares, pomegranate seeds, 2 slices of cooked bacon and a drizzle of honey. Sandwich with another slice of bread.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan over medium heat and add the sandwich. Grill the sandwich for 2-4 minutes per side or until the chocolate is melted and the bread is golden brown.
- Slice the pomegranate chocolate bacon sandwich into fours and serve with the butternut squash soup!
The soup is extra yummy when you add a few pomegranate seeds on top!
Author: Glitter and Bubbles