We recently stopped by STK for dinner and their chef shared his secret recipe for Buttermilk Spice Cake with Cranberry Compote! Does it get more holiday than that? We don’t think so. If you’re not into making this at home, you can always stop by STK and order it, at the restaurant it also comes with gingerbread ice cream (yum!). This delicious dessert is available the entire month of December. What’s your favorite holiday dessert?
BUTTERMILK SPICE CAKE INGREDIENTS
½ cup butter
1 cup oil
4 cups light brown sugar
10 eggs, separated
4 cups AP flour
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
½ tsp. clove
½ tsp. all spice
2 cups buttermilk
BUTTERMILK SPICE CAKE DIRECTIONS
1. In a saucepan, cook the butter over moderate heat, swirling the pan, until the milk solids turn deep brown, 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. Sift all dry ingredients and set aside.
3. When butter is cool, place into stand mixer with brown sugar and mix until well combined.
4. Slowly stream in oil until light mixture.
5. Add egg yolks 1 at a time until fully combined.
6. Slowly add dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk.
7. In a separate mixing bowl, whip egg whites to medium peak.
8. Fold flour mixture into whipped eggs whites.
9. Place ½ sheet pan extender on ½ sheet tray lined with parchment paper.
10. Scoop ½ batter inside pan extender, divide into 2 trays.
11. Bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes.
12. Let cool and cut into 1.5” X 5” rectangles.
2 lbs cranberry
5 star anise
1/2 cup orange juice
1 vanilla bean, split
2 cups sugar
1 orange, zested
1. Combine all ingredients in a sauce pot, bring to a simmer for about 15 minutes.
2. Let cool, drain any excess liquid if necessary.
3. Place on top of the cake.
4. EAT & ENJOY!