There are few things better than making a pleasant unexpected discovery, especially when it is something delicious! Avocado toast is one of my favorite brunch items to order. It has all the things I love – avocado (duh!), cherry tomatoes, pickled onions and fresh cilantro. When I made this at home, I was shocked at how easy it was to pickle onions and what an impact they had. They absolutely make this dish, so don’t skip this step! After this discovery, I will be taking the extra step to add them to more of my food. I’m thinking this could be a game changer for tacos and salads too. All you need to do is whisk together red wine vinegar, sugar and salt. After that, you pop sliced onion into a mason jar, pour the mixture inside and close the jar. The onions can soak for 1-2 hours, or overnight, it all depends on how much time you have!
Zelda and I have also started exploring the versatility of sweet potatoes and our favorite thing to make so far has been sweet potato fries. It’s a healthier alternative and we love making them together. They get so crispy and are the perfect side for avocado toast. Sweet potato fries are also easy to save and reheat in the oven the next day. It’s a great snack to make before the week starts! Do you have a brunch hack on file we should know about? Tell us in the comments below!
Photo Credit & Food Styling: Leah Nolan
- Prep Time 1h
- Cook Time 30m
- Total Time 1h
- Serves 2
- Yields 4
I was shocked at how easy it was to pickle onions and what an impact they had. They absolutely make this dish, so don’t skip this step!
- 4 Slices Whole Wheat Bread
- 1 Large Avocado
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Small Red Onion, Sliced
- ¼ Cup Cherry Tomatoes, Quartered
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Garlic
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Sweet Potato
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- To pickle the onions, whisk together red wine vinegar, sugar and salt until salt dissolves. Place the sliced onion into a mason jar and pour the mixture over it. Close the jar and allow it to soak for 1-2 hours.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add the minced garlic and lemon juice and stir to combine.
- Toast the bread and spread the avocado mix on top, followed by the quartered cherry tomatoes and pickled onions.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Optional: Serve with sweet potato fries. Peel the sweet potato and then cut into even fries. Soak in water for 10 minutes, dry and then place in a bowl with 1 Tablespoon cornstarch and 1 Tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and use your hands to combine. In a single layer, arrange the sweet potato fries on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, flip, and allow to bake for another 15 minutes.
Author: Glitter and Bubbles