While reaching for a plain rice cake is easier, sometimes snack time needs a little more oomph. These five rice cake toppings are simple, yet still above and beyond delicious. While most of these contain ingredients that most people would automatically associate with healthy, there are a few on here that might raise some eyebrows. For instance, dark chocolate, healthy? Really? All signs point to yes! I’m not telling you to eat it by the pound, but recent studies have shown it can lower the risk of heart disease and it is loaded with antioxidants. Sounds good to me, let’s hope they don’t come out with a new study to disprove this! The most important thing to remember is everything in moderation.
I also want to take a moment to talk about how much I love Lundberg Brown Rice Lightly Salted Rice Cakes. They make for a super delicious organic snack that gluten-free, kosher and vegan mamas and babes can enjoy. With several friends that struggle with these dietary restrictions I know how important finding a yummy snack like this is! What are your favorite gluten-free and vegan snacks?
Photo Credit & Food Styling: Leah Nolan
- 5 Lundberg Brown Rice Cakes
- 1/2 Bar Dark Chocolate
- 5-7 Banana Slices
- 5-10 Blueberries
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1 Teaspoon Fat-Free Feta
- 1 Tablespoon Fat-Free Cream Cheese
- 3-4 Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon Skim Ricotta
- 7-10 Almonds
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1 Egg
- 4-6 Red Pepper Slices
- 1 Teaspoon Hot Sauce
- Finely chop the dark chocolate and place it on the first rice cake to cover, top with banana slices.
- Remove the skin from 1/2 an avocado and slice. Place the slices into a bowl and mash, spread onto the second rice cake and top with blueberries and feta.
- Spread cream cheese on the third rice cake and top with sliced cucumber and cherry tomatoes.
- Place red pepper slices on the fourth rice cake and top with an over easy egg. Drizzle with hot sauce.
- Spread ricotta on the fifth rice cake, top with almonds and drizzle with honey.
- Serve to your babes!